Buncefield Incident – Ten Years on
The COMAH Strategic Forum have published a document “The Buncefield Major Incident 11 Dec 2005 – Ten Years On” outlining the finding and recommendations that should be adopted by Oil & Gas COMAH sites but all applicable to other industry sectors.
A key finding were identified as:
- Systematic Assessment of SIL requirements
- Protection again loss of primary containment
- Engineering against loss of primary, secondary and tertiary containment
- Operating with High Reliability Organisations using Leading and lagging indicators.
- Delivering high performance through culture and leadership
Competency, training and an active safety culture are key elements of a safe working environment.